Reading

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

GAME Day



For my first goal, having my students learn more about Kony2012 and contacting legislation to do something about it, I will need a computer lab and Internet access. As with many schools, we do not have computers available for all students. This is where I run into a problem. I have signed up for computer lab time, but unfortunately, it is not in the near future. Spring time is when the computer labs at our schools seem to become extremely popular, so I will not be able to get fully started on this until after spring break. I will check with our library, but that is not as convenient as the lab because students are more distracted. I think what I will start doing is showing them where they can find the senators and representatives for our state and figure out who they want to write to. Since I want them to write a letter we can start off writing it in class, a rough draft. This will give them a chance to get their ideas on paper while they are still fresh, and hopefully make it so when we actually do get to a computer lab, the typing will go quickly. Some of my students have expressed that they do not want to write about Kony because they feel that it is too political and almost like “jumping on the band-wagon” so I have decided that I would like them to find an issue that is currently taking place in our state and write a letter to one of our representatives either urging them to change something or to keep something the same. One issue that has just come about is that Washington legalized gay marriage. There is now a group trying to get that changed and they want the issue put on this November’s ballot. I will mention this to my students to give them another option to write about, but they are not limited to just that issue either. My main goal with this assignment is to get them to speak up about something that is going on in the world or our state and demand that something be done about it. Since I have a little extra time before a computer lab is available I will research to see what has been done lately about Kony and try to keep my students informed. I am also going to inform my students who are participating in the “Cover the Night” that if they want to videotape what they are doing and post it on the Kony2012 website or YouTube, I will give them extra credit. I still am not comfortable making it a requirement to the assignment, but I thought it might be a good extra credit activity.

My second GAME plan goal, having students use a blog to write persuasively, is also going to require a computer lab. I am only going to try this with one class, possible my sixth period so it might be easier to get to a computer lab. I am going to have to set up the blog appropriately so that I can moderate it, and I need to make sure that I play around with the blog again, so I am sure I remember how to use it. One nice thing about this blog is that it also shows me how often someone has been on and responded to the blog, I think only within my students, but I may use that to help grade them.  I will also need to contact a handful of teachers to participate and be a blogger. Again, this website uses code names, so the students should not know who is a student and who is not. I have not decided if I want to let them know that a teacher may log in, they may try to get investigative and figure out who is the teacher. It might be better to wait until everyone has finished blogging. To start this off I will give my students a list of controversial issues that are currently going on and have them choose a topic to debate. They will need to research it and practicing citing their sources. I already have a list, but I will need to add more and newer topics to it. Then we will go to the library and do some research. We have a great database called Opposing Viewpoints and it has a variety of topics with articles on both sides of the issue. I always do a persuasive unit, but I have never gone so far as to have them blog about it. I am really excited!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    Wow...you have a lot of barriers to overcome just to gain access to technology. However, you seem really committed to making it all work, which is wonderful. Do you have access to some type of projector that you could use in the classroom? This might make it possible to show the students the video at least so they could begin their rough draft. Another idea is to try to create a DVD of the video. That way, you don't need access to the computer lab to complete the first step in your project. Another idea, which is a little more difficult, is to have students watch the video on their own. It is available through YouTube, as well as Facebook at this point, so if students have access to either, they should be able to do it. For those who cannot access it on their own, perhaps they might come after school. I know this idea is a little more far-fetched, but it is a possibility.
    Also, do you think you'll alert parents to the topics you'll be working on in class? I work in middle school, so these topics are a tad more daring for my classroom than for a high school. However, I know that gay marriage for many of my families would be extremely taboo due to their religious beliefs. Obviously, if you are working with twelfth graders, this might not even be an issue.
    Finally, I was wondering why you want to have a teacher blog as well. I understand that you want to keep the conversation and discussions going, but if you were to blog and pose questions or comments for the students to consider (as Dr. L does with us), would that help students?
    Also, I was just curious: what is "Cover the Night"?

    Good luck!

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,

    I can definitely relate to your dilemna with having limited access to technology at your school. We have several labs at our school and several laptop carts. There are times when all of the labs are booked and the carts are checked out. I don't know if your school has a formal way of scheduling the lab, but if they don't, I would arrive to school early and post my name and dates on the door. That is what I do sometimes. If your schools have carts, I would check to see who will have the carts during the time that I need them and collaborate with that teacher to see if all of the carts will be in use. Most laptop carts have at least 30 computers in them, but the class that is using them may not be a class of 30. I have even gathered several extra laptops from different carts to get the job done.
    I think your plan is great and I really hope you can gain access to the technology tools yoy' ll need to make it a success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennifer,

    I must admit as an avid believer in social justice I love appreciate your letter writing project. I think it is a positive that you have options for the students to choose from. In order to engage students, I think it is important that they are the ones to decide what issue they want to respond too. As controversial as Kony is, so is the topic of gay marriages. I little side note, DO NOT do anything to promote “Cover the Night” within the school setting. It could be taken as promoting “Civil Disobedience.” Trust me on this one, I speak from recent experience. Heaven forbid we actually teach students to research, take a stand, and speak up on an issue. I do not remember who said, “If we don’t stand for something we will fall for nothing.” Honestly, I feel that I would be doing a disservice to my students if I did not foster this disposition. One of the greatest compliments I remember receiving as a teacher came from a graduating senior who I had as a sophomore. He wrote me a letter recalling a comment that I made to him as sophomore. I asked him: “What are you all about?” Little did I know that this comment actually caused him to begin searching for an answer and ultimately shaped his identity in a very positive way. His letter thanked me. It is moments like these that make me delighted to be able to work with students.

    I like your blogging idea; however, as someone else said I do not understand why you would need and or want another teacher to participate. I am confused on this aspect. What is your reasoning behind it? Just curious. I have to say, I really like your real world, authentic approach to achieving your goals and I wish you the greatest success. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caitlin and Jennifer
    I think the reason I would like a teacher to participate is to challenge the students intellectually. I know that teachers can propose questions that students will not think to ask. I want in depth thinking and questioning and that is why I was going to involved teachers. Maybe I do not need to, and I can just be the one to ask questions and provoke deeper thinking.

    Also, “Cover the Night” is an activity that was proposed in the Kony 2012 video. People are to get together Friday, April 20 and put up posters and signs to help make Joseph Kony famous. Many of my students are planning on participating in this and I think it would be wonderful for them to capture this experience on video.

    JenZ

    ReplyDelete